Sunday, April 27, 2008

some like it Hot

Well let me start by saying yesterday (Friday) was ... different. Around 3:00p.m. we lost power due to a transformer blow out or something, leaving over 2500 people from my town and area with no electricity for about 9 hours. It was a beautiful day and we had great weather so no one was really too worried because we were outside and enjoying the day. Our next door neighbor was getting ready for a prom party in their backyard and the family across the street had about 15 kids drive off in their cars to go to the prom.
Then as an hour or so passed we realized we had better find candles and make sure we had drinks and what ever else we may need. Now losing the power isn't all too bad, but I live with a well and septic which means no flushing toilets and no water without a hand pump. Since our local gas station was also closed, we didn't want to chance going to the next town for gas in case they were without power also. We were not really affected, my son and my granddaughters and I were outside, It was a nice starry night. We built a nice fire in our fire pit, the kids had hot dogs and S'more's, I lite garden candles on a path from the back of the yard to the house and around the porch steps so no one would get hurt. ( we are on a couple of acre's )
But my daughter who can't go 20 minutes or more without coffee stayed in as she was putting her 22 month old son to bed, found her own way to make that cup of coffee!
When I came in the house for a pit stop I found her at the kitchen table. She had a deep bowl with candles in it and used one of my cool racks for baking to put over the bowl and had a small pot of water on it. I asked what she was doing and she told me "well I tried to make a cup of coffee hot enough to drink with this set up and it worked so I thought I would make myself enough hot water for more." And that she did ... my son and the kids all had hot chocolate with her hot water set up!!
Then around 12:30 a.m. the power was back on. I was surprised to hear my daughter say "I was enjoying our family camping out, All I need is Hot coffee and I'm good."

No comments:

Susan's Kitchen

Hi
I am Susan.
Welcome to my new blog. Cooking, baking, and kitchen gadgets are a few of my favorite hobbies. I am a professional home baker and cook and hope to give and gain new and old recipies. Any idea's for kitchen shopping and gadgets always catch my eye. I watch the cooking channel also. I find it is easy for me to teach people new to cooking and love doing so. One of my granddaughter's is a pastry chef. We all enjoy cooking in my family... So lets get cookin!

Home made fav's

Home made fav's
what's in the oven!

About Me

My photo
I am looking to gather a group that can work together, prosper, and spread the Good news as a team..No Experience Required